Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
The Administrative Center Director has overall responsibility for delivering/providing quality administrative services in each of the following areas:
1. The administrative director serves as the Clinical Service Unit (CSU) administration within the UMPhysicians organization: including support for strategic and tactical planning and implementation; development, implementation and monitoring of CSU budgets and capital planning and purchases; timely reporting of financial and operational functions, deployment of CSU providers at all clinical sites, both outpatient and inpatient, and their clinical productivity and quality outcomes; developing business plans for, as well as negotiating, implementing and monitoring of CSU clinical contracts; development, implementation and monitoring of faculty compensation plans. Includes participation in various UMPhysicians Board of Directors committees, and operational work groups in collaboration with various UMPhysicians/MHealth/Fairview leaders and directors. Act as business partner and strategic advisor for Medical School department heads, and developing working relationships with UMPhysicians clinic managers, operations directors, ancillary service directors, and various other staff, including contracting, finance, business development, HR, patient billing, provider enrollment and credentialing, and marketing, as well as UMMC/hospital to achieve business goals of the department heads (acting as the CSU managers), as well as UMPhysicians and MHealth organizations overall.
2. Finance and accounting services: including responsibility for income statement, balance sheet transaction, post-award grants administration, ISO/ESO accounting, :major capital expenditures, University of Minnesota Foundation funds flow, accounts receivable, purchasing, accounts payable, expense reimbursements, reconciliations, and budget and forecast development for the University of Minnesota departments, as well as the corresponding Clinical Service Units, and including all pro forma development and financial reporting for both organizations, as well as MHealth. This role serves as the accountable party for clinical and ISO/ESO contracting.
3. Human resources & payroll functions: including the administrative processes supporting on-boarding and credentialing of faculty, performance assessment of all faculty and staff, academic appointment, promotion and tenure, and employee/labor relations. Partners with department head and faculty leadership in development of strategic initiatives for recruitment and retention of faculty, faculty compensation plans, as well as succession planning and mentoring. Develops and delivers orientation processes for the on boarding of new faculty and staff, resolve various payroll and HR matters on an ad hoc basis, and insure that all University and UMPhysicians payroll and benefits polices are communicated and implemented. Develop and provide reports and metrics on faculty and physician practice and research productivity. Promotes and models a culture of employee engagement and commitment. This roles serves as senior advisor for staff development, performance improvement, talent management, leadership development and staff and faculty mentorship.
4. Partners with University of Minnesota Medical School central GME services and with faculty program directors and medical or graduate school course coordinators to manage educational programs: including oversight of GME and UME coordinators, RMS compliance, accreditation reviews, and high volume of program letters of agreement with all University of Minnesota schools and colleges and affiliate institutions. Initiate new fellowship training programs. Oversee and monitor department efforts in the delivery of undergraduate, graduate and medical school curriculum. Develop marketing strategy for external sales of laboratory and research services to industry and other clients.
5. Research administration: including pre award grant development and submission, administration of grants and contracts, compliance, and conflict of interest, as well as regular management reporting. Manages services to research institutes, oversees laboratory safety and handling of controlled substances. Manages relationships with private industry including IP, royalties, master research agreements, and service agreements.
6. Participates in strategic facilities planning and partners with AHC Facilities Management staff: to operationalize plans and manage space occupancy, renovations, office and lab moves, technology upgrades and equipment installations. This includes working with the University’s capital planning group and UMPhysicians facilities group .
The Administrative Center Director reports directly to the Chief Administrative and Financial Officer in the Medical School. The ACD also reports to the Heads of the Departments to which the Administrative Center provides services.
The ACD supervises and mentors staff within the administrative center (20 – 25 positions): sets clear expectations; attracts and retains individuals with the critical capabilities needed by the center; develops and manages effective work teams; develops talent pools to ensure future availability of talent; delegates responsibility and authority to the appropriate staff; recognizes strong performance and encourages development; addresses performance issues. Also, chairs and participates on search committees, or as an interviewer for various other University and UMPhysicians leadership positions.
The ACD promotes ideas and proposals persuasively, shares information appropriately; presents ideas effectively; anticipates and meets information needs; actively listens; reads non-verbal communication, builds an active network of relationships across multiple organizations delivers important message to faculty and staff, and ensures reporting is thorough and complete.
Job Code: 9341D1
Position Classification: Professional and Administrative
Link to Benefits Information: http://humanresources.umn.edu/sites/humanresources.umn.edu/files/ben122-03_75_to_100_time_appointment.pdf