NYU Langone Medical Center, a world-class, patient-centered, integrated, academic medical center, is one of the nation's premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research and medical education. Located in the heart of Manhattan, NYU Langone is composed of four hospitals - Tisch Hospital, its flagship acute care facility; Rusk Rehabilitation; the Hospital for Joint Diseases, one of only five hospitals in the nation dedicated to orthopaedics and rheumatology; and Hassenfeld Children's Hospital, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children's health services across the medical center - plus the NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. The medical center's tri-fold mission to serve, teach and discover is achieved 365 days a year through the seamless integration of a culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education and research. For more information, go to www.NYULMC.org.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Clinical Lab Technologist - BV.
In this role, the successful candidate Responsible for performing and assessing highly technical and complex clinical laboratory tests onspecimens for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes in a timely fashion. Works independently undergeneral direction to address laboratory needs as the occasion arises.
- Process mycology samples
- IX. TECHNICAL DEVELOPMENTParticipates in in-services, continuing education courses, and assists in developing new proceduresPerformance Criteria:a. Maintains an up to date knowledge of policies and procedures in assigned area and responds to, orinitiates changes which enhance patient care, for supervisors review.b. Maintains and improves technical expertise by attending continuing education programs and readingcurrent literature in the field.c. Attends all in-service sessions as requiredd. Participates actively in developing, evaluating, and implementing approved new procedures, ormodifications to existing policies or procedures.e. Participates in all CAP and State Proficiency Testing.
- VIII. PLANNING AND TIME UTILIZATIONEfficiency in adapting to changes in order to facilitate adequate staffing and effective demonstration inidentifyingand acting on priorities in a timely manner.Performance Criteria:a. Demonstrates alertness and adaptability to changes in schedule and work conditions; respondsappropriately.b. Uses time effectively by completing all assigned tasks in a timely manner.c. Recognizes and deals with priorities.d. Utilizes spare time to review stored collection of abnormal slides, textbooks, periodicals, techsamples, safety videos etc to enhance theoretical knowledge and technical skills.
- VII. INVENTORY MANAGEMENTAssist with inventory managementPerformance Criteria:a. Follows lab reagent protocolb. Minimizes reagent wastec. Informs Supervisors when low on supplies
- VI. QUALITY CONTROLMonitors testing equipment, solutions and work environment by following laboratory Quality Controlprocedure,ensuring the overall reliability of test results.Performance Criteria:a. Assist the QA/QC supervisor in performing proficiencies, reagent validations, QC validation, andother activities related to laboratory qualityb. Cleans and calibrates testing equipment according to established preventive maintenanceguidelines.c. Inspects reagents, solution and chemicals to ensure that they are of high quality, that lot numbers,expiration dates and material safety data are noted and recorded.d. Reads and records temperatures of pertinent pieces of equipment daily. Includes but not limited torefrigerators, freezers, and water-baths.e. Runs and interprets control values to ensure standardization within deviation guidelines.f. Attempts to troubleshoot malfunctioning equipment and reports same to immediate supervisor.g. Communicates with manufacturers service department dispatch office when unable to rectifyinoperable instrument. Receive an ETA and document in shift-to-shift log book.h. Disposes of needles and sharps in designated red binsi. Stores and disposes of contaminated and hazardous materials according to departmental procedures.j. Adhere to all department infection and safety proceduresk. Follows departmental procedures and instructions given by the supervisor and director.
- V. INTERPRETATION AND RECORDING OF RESULTSAnalyzes, interprets, and reports test results.Performance Criteria:a. Exhibits sound judgment in handling and reporting test results.b. Makes a determination of normal and abnormal test values accurately.c. Promptly documents results in the hospital information systems and reports abnormal results viatelephone.d. Reviews preliminary diagnosis and consults appropriate reference sources to assist in interpretation.g. Reviews abnormal cell morphology with respective supervisors were applicableh. Seeks information or ask assistance from supervisor when necessary regarding difficult orquestionable results.i. Examines prepared stained smears and demonstrates knowledge in interpreting morphology whereapplicable
- IV. ASSAY AND PLATELET AGGREGATION PROCEDURES (Coag staff ONLY)Performs factor assay AND platelet function tests completely, accurately and efficiently.Performance Criteria:a. Reconstitutes and thaws enough reagent and deficient substrate to assay normal, critical control,and patient plasmas.b. Assays four dilution points and blank for normal curve.c. Runs critical control, which falls within 30% of given level, i.e. within 15% above or below.d. Clearly marks normal curve and each test curve.e. Follows departmental procedures and instructions given by the supervisor and director.f. Prepares platelet rich plasma to obtain best platelet count rapidly and with as little red blood cellcontamination as possible.g. Plans most important runs considering the question to be answered and the amount of platelet richplasma available.h. Performs count on PRP to verify platelets are adequate in number for the testi. Conserves an aliquot of platelet rich plasma in a cool bath of 18-22 C.j. Adjusts blank when platelet rich plasma is contaminated with red blood cells.k. Follows departmental procedures and instructions given by the supervisor and director.
- III. COAGULATION SAMPLES: BASIC TEST PROCEDURES (Coag staff ONLY)Verifies the identification of the patient before performing tests all coagulation and red cell testingthoughtfully and accurately.Performance Criteria:a. Labels test tubes with the patients name and order of quality number.b. Stores blood tubes for coagulation and factor assays in ice bath to return to the laboratory.c. Stores blood tubes for platelet aggregation at room temperature and returns to laboratory.d. Upon return to laboratory, time stamps a worksheet and marks time of blood drawing, bleedingtime, and name of patient.e. Places sample tube in appropriate centrifuge for retrieving best plasma sample.f. Labels decanting tubes for plasma samples when they are taken out of the centrifuge.g. Runs and records setup controls and assures that they are within the current given range.h. Runs mixing or neutralizing tests when basic tests are prolonged.i. Records times and factor percentages on daily log and on patient worksheet.j. Follows departmental procedures and instructions given by the supervisor and director.
- II. SPECIMEN PREPARATION AND TESTINGPrepares specimens to be tested; Performs manual and automated tests on blood and body fluidsaccording toestablished laboratory section proceduresPerformance Criteria:a. Identifies and prepares accurately specimens which have been collected by phlebotomy team,nurses or physicians in according to laboratory policies and procedures.b. Checks samples to ensure correct identification and that it matches with accompanying label toensure accuracy of recording and reporting of results.c. Completes all scheduled and stat tests in a timely fashion.d. Report any incomplete assignments/tests to assure continuity of procedures.e. Adheres to Laboratorys/Manufacturers safety policies while operating and troubleshootinginstruments.f. Operates instruments according to Laboratory / Manufactures established procedures.
- I. LABORATORY SET-UPPreparation of laboratory area, equipment, reagents, and instrument for testing.Performance Criteria:a. Calibrates, conducts performance checks, records and maintains laboratory instruments andequipment according to laboratory policy.b. Ensures the appropriate and adequate supply of materials is available at all times.c. Recognizes and corrects instrument malfunction.d. Checks and records temperatures of water-bath, refrigerator, and freezere. Prepares test reagents and reconstitutes reagents according to laboratory procedure manualf. Adds water to water-bath, when level is below first level of test tube rack (Coag staff ONLY)
To qualify you must have a Education and experience equivalent to the guidelines mandated by CAP, CLIA, and NYSDOHrequirements. After September 1, 2013, have received an education, including a Bachelor's Degree from anapproved clinical laboratory technologist program or the substantial equivalent Bachelor's Degree in Clinical Laboratory Technology from a program registered by the NYSDepartment of Education or Bachelor's Degree in the major of biology, chemistry or physical sciencesfrom an accredited college or university or at least six (6) months of experience in a similar laboratory. NYS technologist license from the Office of the Professions, State Education Department, State ofNew York or hold a limited permit as CLT that will lead to such license, Knowledgeable in Quality Control procedures and Laboratory Automation. Effective oral, written, communication and interpersonal skills.
Master's Degree and NCA/ASCP certification in addition to the minimum requirements Working knowledge of related theory, principles, practices, applicable instrumentation, analyticalmethods, quality control, statistical analysis, current government regulations and leadership.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Medical Center provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents. And just as our employees invest so much in us, we invest in our employees. We're pleased to have one of the most competitive compensation packages not only among New York's hospitals and healthcare institutions, but within the corporate sector as well. We begin with exceptional medical, dental, and drug coverage. We enhance this basic coverage with comprehensive wellness programs, and supplement those with retirement investment and benefits plans, and generous paid time off allowances. Add to that a very attractive tuition program, and you'll see just some of the ways that NYU Langone Medical Center demonstrates our commitment to our employees.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.