Department: Chemistry & Biochemistry
Biochemistry Research Lab Technician
The George Mason University Chemistry and Biochemistry Department, on the Science and Technology Campus, is currently seeking a lab technician to join our research team. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason's academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Working with Dr. Robin Couch, the successful candidate will be responsible for performing tasks and experiments in support of ongoing scientific investigations and assist in the organization and management of lab activities. The finalist selected for this position will work six hours per day, five days per week (not to exceed 1450 hours per year) and the anticipated starting salary is $25 per hour.
- An earned degree in biochemistry, molecular biology, or a related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Demonstrated experience with mass spectrometry, particularly LC-MS and GC-MS;
- Willingness to work at BSL1, BSL2 and/or BSL3;
- Ability to operate standard laboratory equipment such as balances, centrifuges, spectrophotometer and autoclave;
- Excellent pipetting skills;
- Excellent attention to detail, in laboratory tasks as well as administrative tasks;
- Excellent punctuality, organization, and time management skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain a professional demeanor;
- Ability to read and comprehend relevant scientific literature;
- Strong computer aptitude, including experience with word processing and spreadsheet software;
- Flexibility to handle a variety of tasks and shift priorities simultaneously;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Ability to effectively interact with all levels of staff and external contacts;
- Ability to work as an effective team member;
- A cooperative and service-oriented attitude;
- Ability to use sound judgment to effectively solve problems within the scope of the position;
- High level of initiative and ability to work with limited supervision; and
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated hands-on laboratory experience, particularly in an independent project;
- Demonstrated experience with recombinant protein expression and purification;
- Recombinant protein expression experience in both prokaryotic and eukaryotic systems;
- Demonstrated molecular biology experience with PCR, cloning, performing transformations and restriction mapping;
- Demonstrated experience with DNA and protein electrophoresis;
- Demonstrated experience with spectrophotometric enzyme assays; and
- Demonstrated excellence with microbiology and aseptic techniques.
Salary: Anticipated starting wage is $25.00 per hour
Criminal Background Check: Standard Background Check
Mason Ad Statement:
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number WG002z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a resume, a list of two professional references with contact information, and a copy of your transcript from the educational institution where you earned your highest degree. Questions about this position can be directed to Dr. Robin Couch at Masonlabtech@gmail.com.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.