NYU Langone Medical Center, a world-class, patient-centered, integrated, academic medical center, is one of the nation's premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research and medical education. Located in the heart of Manhattan, NYU Langone is composed of four hospitals - Tisch Hospital, its flagship acute care facility; Rusk Rehabilitation; the Hospital for Joint Diseases, one of only five hospitals in the nation dedicated to orthopaedics and rheumatology; and Hassenfeld Children's Hospital, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children's health services across the medical center - plus the NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. The medical center's tri-fold mission to serve, teach and discover is achieved 365 days a year through the seamless integration of a culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education and research. For more information, go to www.NYULMC.org.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Director Basic Science Research Operations.
In this role, the successful candidate is responsible for providing critical program and project leadership in basic science research operations and is responsible for the successful management of assigned research operations programs across the NYULMC research science portfolio; provides strategic and operational program leadership to monitor progress of priority programs across the assigned portfolio and provides critical information to Research Operations leadership and stakeholders on critical path activities and milestones; works in partnership with senior research operations leadership and leverages expertise in the research operations to successfully plan, track, and report on significant program milestones and provides key input to stakeholders regarding program risks, opportunities, resourcing, and budgets.
- Assists with Emergency Management and Enterprise Resilience (EM & ER) activities
- Materials Management - oversees coordination between OSR Research Operations building managers and Materials Management group
- Security - coordinates with NYULMC Security
- Risk Management and Mitigation - coordinates responses to laboratory accident near-miss and incidents
- Research Laboratory Safety a. Manages coordination between EH & S, IACUC and OSR laboratory managerial staff to ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements (FDNY/EPA/OSHA/AAALAC) b. Fire warden coordination per department / building
- Research Laboratory Occupancy Management a. Represents OSR laboratory operations in laboratory construction, renovation and occupancy planning and implementation i. New Science Building ii. ACLS-West and East iii. Smilow iv. Renovations and repairs to basic science research laboratories v. OCS Scientific Cores expansion/laboratory move management
- Research Laboratory Operations Management a. OSR Laboratory Operations Staff supervision (MSB, Smilow, ACLS-E/W, NSB) b. OSR Laboratory Operations business management i. Shared equipment ii. Shared services (glasswash and media prep) c. Lab Hygiene and annual cleanup coordination
- Develops and maintains up-to-date- knowledge base for assigned project(s), including analysis of research community needs and resources required to fulfill those needs, research facility asset allocation and assignment.
- Stays abreast of internal and external developments in the area of research operations management relevant for the successful execution of research operations management responsibilities.
- Facilitates communication and information sharing across project team, other functional areas in NYULMC including OSR, RED & F, EH & S, and Occupational Health and Safety. Develops, prepares and distributes communications, meeting minutes, presentations, and other materials as needed to ensure communication objectives are met. Recognizes the interdependencies of various project plans and what needs to be monitored simultaneously versus sequentially etc. from a strategic planning/risk/management perspective.
- Leads and facilitates program management meetings; regularly updates management and project teams on all project related activities and facilitates the identification of program risks, opportunities and/or critical path activities.
- Accountable for effective leadership within matrix environment; facilitates the prioritization of deliverables; actively manages issues, issue escalation and proactively identifies alternative strategies in collaboration with core team members to develop and implement risk mitigation strategies which impact key milestones.
- In collaboration with core laboratory operations staff, provides oversight and direction and is accountable for the translation of project/program level strategies into a comprehensive project plan. Creates and maintains integrated cross-functional project timelines and plans, prepares internal team documents as required, and authors periodic reports to project executives and coordinate documentation and archiving of project deliverables.
- Works closely with the Assistant Dean for Basic Science Research Operations, OSR laboratory operations team and other key constituencies including RED & F at all NYULMC sites to ensure execution of the strategies across multiple research projects as well as the establishment of a robust, collaborative environment to improve research science operations.
- Provides strategic and operational project leadership to assigned programs. Leverages expertise and provides input into the forecasting and development of program milestones, project plans, budget, resource needs.
To qualify you must have a M.S., Ph.D. or other advanced degree in a natural science or similar advanced degree in engineering/operations management with a minimum of 5-10 years of experience in directing laboratory operations and managing multiple projects, budgets, and timelines in Academia, Pharma, or Biotech fields. Demonstrates in-depth knowledge and broad understanding of research operations management area, relevant technologies and applications and a successful track record for managing complex research operations programs across multiple buildings. Demonstrates effective cross-functional leadership as evidenced by line/project management or multi-disciplinary program management. Must effectively drive and maximize resources through the application of project management best practices. Leadership style which facilitates alliances, alignment and collaboration between team members, the program leaders, and senior management. Skilled in project management methods, tools and reporting and demonstrated effective program management methodologies. Exceptional critical thinking, judgment, and analytical skills to evaluate the importance and urgency of problems. Demonstrates the ability to work in a fluid, complex, dynamic environment; demonstrates interpersonal flexibility and resiliency to effectively lead through complicated programs and/or issues. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
NYU Langone Medical Center provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents. And just as our employees invest so much in us, we invest in our employees. We're pleased to have one of the most competitive compensation packages not only among New York's hospitals and healthcare institutions, but within the corporate sector as well. We begin with exceptional medical, dental, and drug coverage. We enhance this basic coverage with comprehensive wellness programs, and supplement those with retirement investment and benefits plans, and generous paid time off allowances. Add to that a very attractive tuition program, and you'll see just some of the ways that NYU Langone Medical Center demonstrates our commitment to our employees.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.