The Infection Preventionist has an integral role in the organization-wide patient safety program. The Infection Preventionist will assist others within the facility towards process improvements which support the reduction of healthcare-associated infections (HAIs). The Infection Preventionist provides leadership for all activities that relate to preventing HAIs including participating in committees that focus on infection prevention activities, provides education on the system-based causes for HAIs, consults with management and staff, and communicates literature-based practices regarding effective HAI prevention strategies.
A Bachelor of Science (Master's preferred) in a health-related field including: Nursing. Microbiology, Public Health, Epidemiology, or Medical Laboratory Science.
Basic knowledge of statistics and medical microbiology.
Previous experience in infection prevention and computer programing is desirable.
Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including MS-Word and MS-Excel or other comparable applications.
Board Certification in Infection Control (CIC) within two years of hire. Employees hired into this job prior to 9/1/2016 are required to obtain Board Certification in Infection Control (CIC) within a timeframe established by their manager.
Two to three years clinical experience in Healthcare desirable.
Self-directed; able to work effectively and efficiently with multiple interruptions and changing work priorities. Strong organizational and time management skills required. Able to make quality, independent decisions using analytical and problem solving skills. Demonstrates initiative and creativity in assigned work. Highly detailed and team oriented.
Must possess the interpersonal skills necessary to effectively communicate and interact with personnel at all levels of a healthcare organization. Demonstrated effectiveness in good public relations and communication skills, both orally and in writing. Demonstrated ability to effectively handle sensitive and high stress situations. Ability to communicate effectively and in a courteous and tactful manner with physicians, volunteers, hospitals staff, visitors, vendors and the general public.
Proficient in directing and guiding teams through complex problem solving processes utilizing strong interpersonal and communication skills and techniques. Planning skills necessary to develop action plans, time lines and ability to achieve objectives within time frames allotted. Presentation skills for development and delivery of presentations to diverse audiences..
Under the direction of Infection Prevention Manager. Works closely with Infectious Disease Department members, Microbiology Department, medical and professional staff members, and Director of Risk Management & Safety.
POPULATIONS SERVED COMPETENCIES, INCLUDING AGE OF PATIENTS SERVED
May be required to perform limited patient assessment.
1. Supports the Mission, Vision and Values of Munson Healthcare.
2. Embraces and supports the Performance Improvement philosophy of Munson Healthcare.
3. Promotes personal and patient safety.
4. Uses effective customer service/interpersonal skills at all times. Applies techniques of problem solving, active listening, negotiation and strong consensus building skills.
5. Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, management, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
6. Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and accrediting body health care regulations in order to ensure compliance.
7. Conducts daily surveillance activities including review of laboratory reports, observes patient condition and reviews documentation for evidence of infection.
8. Assists with review of policies and procedures and makes recommendations for changes/revisions.
9. Participates on committees and with activities related to reducing risk of HAIs.
10. Perform limited patient assessment to determine presence of infection and/or communicable disease.
11. Conducts rounds on patient care areas serving as Infection Prevention resource to staff.
12. Writes orders for cultures, for the initiation and discontinuation of precautions, and for appropriate laboratory tests to confirm or follow exposures or outbreaks, per established policy/procedure.
13. Is self-directed in surveillance and receives direction for activity in other areas of infection prevention. As delegated by the Infection Prevention Manager and/or Medical Director of Infection Prevention, assists with investigation of outbreaks, occurrences, and sentinel events and processes according to policy.
14. Provides information and consultation to staff and acts as specialist advisor in all matters relating to infection prevention and control.
15. Conducts educational programs for medical, nursing, and support staff on infection prevention. Assists in identification of learning needs for associates in the areas of infection prevention.
16. Provides support to physicians, clinicians and other staff in issues related to HAI prevention.
17. Collects, collates, and reports data specific to elements of care that impact patient safety/ regulatory requirements. Disseminates information to appropriate groups to promote continuous improvement of practices that impact patient safety. Supports and improves mechanisms for internal communication of patient safety related information.
18. Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.