USC's KSOM Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine is seeking a Research Lab Technician II as a joint position in Dr. Andrew McMahon and Dr. Gage Crumpâs lab.Â Â The research technician will assist postdoctoral researchers in the McMahon Laboratory, studying injury and repair processes in the mammalian kidney and the developmental origins of neural crest progenitor cells contributing to the craniofacial skeleton in zebrafish in the Crump Laboratory at the Eli and Edythe Broad CIRM Center.
Education requirement: College background in biology, molecular biology, biotechnology or biochemistry.Â Two years of mouse husbandry experience is essential. Bachelorâs degree is preferred.
Duties will include:Â maintaining mouse colonies, genotyping mice, setting up matings, embryo collection, tissue biopsy, collection of tissues for: frozen sections, in situ hybridization and immunohistochemistry, feeding of zebrafish, maintenance of zebrafish facility, including assisting in monitoring water quality and fish health, genotyping zebrafish, keeping zebrafish stocks organized using our Filemaker Pro database, assisting in breeding and cleaning zebrafish embryos The individual will assist other researchers as assigned.
- Basic knowledge of molecular biology experimentation: PCR, DNA digestion, agarose gel electrophoresis) able to follow protocols for tissue fixation and processing- One to two years experience in mouse husbandry, histology, cell culture or related techniques.Â
- Excellent organizational skills, and an ability to work independently but also as part of a team are essential requirements.Â
Hourly rate: Depends on experience
- Conducts research experiments in accordance with laboratory and safety protocols. Collects field and/or laboratory measurements and data. Computes results for a variety of research procedures, tests and techniques.
- Maintains accurate records of procedures used to conduct experiments. Uses laboratory/computer equipment to conduct analyses of experiment data. Provides routine interpretations of analyses.
- Maintains and calibrates laboratory equipment. Performs or arranges for basic repairs. May alter equipment to meet experiment requirements. Makes recommendations for equipment acquisitions.
- Prepares chemical solutions for experimental use.
- Handles and disposes of hazardous and non-hazardous materials in accordance with safety protocols.
- Maintains and organizes laboratory supplies. Monitors inventory levels and orders or secures supplies as needed.
- Maintains research facility in orderly, operable condition. Maintains security and safety of equipment, samples, specimens and data.
- Conducts library research to assist in the planning and design of experiments.
- Learns basic laboratory safety and, if appropriate, basic radiation or blood borne pathogen safety under the direction of the USC Safety Office and more experienced laboratory staff.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The University reserves the right to add or change duties at any time
Minimum Education: Associate's degree, Specialized/technical training, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum educationMinimum Experience: 2 yearsMinimum Field of Expertise: Working knowledge of laboratory equipment and research protocols. Knowledge of computer analysis techniques and ability to provide routine analysis and interpretation of research data.
Internal Number: REQ20086610
USC is the leading private research university in Los Angeles—a global center for arts, technology and international business. With more than 47,500 students, we are located primarily in Los Angeles but also in various US and global satellite locations. As the largest private employer in Los Angeles, responsible for $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic and professional schools and administrative units. As a USC employee and member of the Trojan Family—the faculty, staff, students, and alumni who make USC a great place to work—you will enjoy excellent benefits, including a variety of well-being programs designed to help individuals achieve work-life balance.