Responsible for performing molecular biology experiments as well as management and operation of the lab under the general instruction and supervision of the Assistant Professor. The incumbent is responsible for overseeing and training student researchers to ensure safety and that all protocols are followed. The Laboratory Technician helps maintain laboratory organization, promotes compliance with guidelines and is accountable for purchasing, maintaining and organizing lab supplies. The Lehigh community takes seriously our commitment to antiracism and The Principles of our Equitable Community.
1. Carry out molecular biology research protocols and projects *Perform experimental protocols and obtain publication-quality results with increasing independence and using proper controls *Make lists of experiments to perform proactively while consulting daily with the Principal Investigator *Coordinate the multitasking/scheduling of experiments to optimize experimental data output productivity *Identify ways to improve experimental protocols and increase productivity *Read and understand selected primary literature publications in the fields of molecular biology, biochemistry and genetics, in order to develop new ideas for experiments and possibly also research directions *Document research by taking clear notes in laboratory notebooks (both printed and digital) *Store biological specimens and research data securely
2. Purchase, install and maintain lab supplies and equipment *Consistently anticipate, order and store lab supplies, chemicals, reagents to support the lab's experimental productivity *Order equipment, supplies, chemicals, reagents, computers/software, using the available University ordering systems *Establish quotes from sales vendors/representatives to get best values for purchasing through daily telephone calls, in-person meetings and emails *Coordinate repairs of lab equipment to maintain their functionality and safety *Communicate with Departmental office staff and others on campus regarding purchasing paperwork, etc. *Perform some analyses of spending trends, budgeting, funds remaining on accounts *Coordinate incoming and outgoing mailing of packages via USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc.
3. Perform routine tasks in the lab to keep it organized and safe *Make media for growing cells, such as bacteria and yeast *Become trained in Lehigh's laboratory safety practices and other applicable policies *Clean and sterilize glassware and other supplies and equipment *Perform weekly/monthly safety and other tests to maintain the lab and pass safety inspections *Help keep laboratory and shared research spaces clean and organized *Work with the PI and independently to develop improved policies for research efficiency and safety *Maintain the laboratory's computers, software and files by performing routing file organization, software updates, data backups, etc.
4. Communicate with the Principal Investigator on a daily basis, as well as with sales representatives et al. by telephone, in person and via email to promote research productivity *Meet and exchange emails on a daily basis with the Principal Investigator to coordinate priorities and ensure tasks to be performed are clear and ready to perform *Write concise and effective emails to communicate quickly and clearly to solve problems, order supplies for the best pricing available, and overall facilitate research productivity and progress on laboratory research projects
5. Train new lab members in experimental protocols, lab policies, and help oversee safe operations of the lab, along with the Principal Investigator *Train incoming lab members and students to promote the efficient success of their experiments *Help oversee schedules of lab members and implement policies put into place by the Principal Investigator and/or others at the institution *Organize collections of laboratory research protocols
Position Number: S71790
The duties of the position do not allow for a remote work option; the employee in this position will be required to work on campus where they can be fully accessible to the Lehigh community
This position is funded by grant dollars; there is no severance associated with this position
Will nearly continuously be required to talk or hear, use hands to finger, handle or feel
Will often be required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, lift up to 25 pounds, work in areas with: fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of radiation
May occasionally be required to sit, lift up to 50 pounds
Bachelor's Degree in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Genetics or related field
Zero to one year of laboratory research experience or training - Recent and upcoming grads encouraged to apply
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Excellent writing ability and organizational skills
Solid analytical, decision making and problem solving skills
Solid computer skills with experience using email, word processing, database and spreadsheet software
Successful completion of standard background checks including but not limited to: social security verification, education verification, national criminal background checks, motor vehicle checks, PATCH, FBI fingerprinting, Child Abuse Clearance and credit history based upon the requirements of the position
Only complete applications will be considered therefore please complete the application in its entirety. Once the posting is removed from the website applications may no longer be allowed to be completed.
Internal Number: 499396
About Lehigh University
Lehigh is a premier residential research university, ranked in the top tier of national research universities each year. We are a coeducational, nondenominational, private university that offers a distinct academic environment of undergraduate and graduate students from across the globe.