Administer and coordinate technical activities in a specific segment of the Clinical Laboratories which may include the Blood Bank, Blood Gas, Clinical Chemistry, Clinical Hematology, Clinical Microbiology, Clinical Pediatrics and Stat Laboratories and outreach services to ensure effective technical operation of the unit.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
May perform any or all of the following duties:
- Administer and coordinate the technical activities of personnel in a specific segment of the Clinical Laboratories to ensure effective technical operation of the unit in accordance with established practices; perform specialized procedures requiring advanced skill and theoretical knowledge.
- Develop and implement quality control programs to ensure the reliability of testing procedures, proper function of laboratory equipment and compliance with federal regulations; prepare and maintain related records.
- Conduct proficiency evaluations of laboratory operations through preparation and distribution of unknown specimens or samples and evaluating the accuracy of solicited results.
- Assist in the development and implementation of testing methods, techniques and procedures for laboratory application; set up and evaluate new laboratory equipment and make recommendations accordingly; standardize laboratory solutions and develop reagents used in diagnostic work.
- Provide technical guidance and instruction to personnel in routine and advanced laboratory techniques; conduct formal training programs and workshops for medical technology students, faculty, staff and other interested personnel.
- Assist in planning and scheduling work for personnel ensuring proper distribution of assignments and adequate staffing, space and facilities for subsequent performance of duties.
- Prepare reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends and appropriate recommendations or conclusions.
- Assist in the development and implementation of a comprehensive marketing plan that achieves laboratory budget volumes.
Hematology experience preferred
Required Qualifications at this Level
Bachelor's degree in Medical Technology or related field
Three to five years of laboratory experience is required to gain specific knowledge of routine and specialized procedures and tests in specified area of specialty (e.g., Serology, Special Hematology, Anaerobic Bacteriology).
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification
Certification in Medical Technology by a nationally recognized agency/board and/or in the specialized field of the assigned Lab. Assignment in Transfusion Service requires certification as a Specialist in Blood Banking (SBB).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Working knowledge of routine and specialized procedures and tests in specified area of specialty (e.g. Serology, Special Hematology, Anaerobic Bacteriology, Blood Banking)
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
As a world-class academic and health care system, Duke Health strives to transform medicine and health locally and globally through innovative scientific research, rapid translation of breakthrough discoveries, educating future clinical and scientific leaders, advocating and practicing evidence-based medicine to improve community health, and leading efforts to eliminate health inequalities.