USCâs Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center (NCCC) Immune Monitoring Core is seeking a Research Laboratory Technician II to join its team. NCCCâs Immune Monitoring (IM) Coreâs mission centers on providing the USC community with support for clinical trials for immunotherapy of human and animal cancers; facilitating basic, translational, and clinical research with an immunological monitoring component; and providing immunological assay training and education to faculty, staff and students. The IM core provides quality assessments of immunological function necessary for the study of pathogenesis, treatment, and prevention of cancer and other human diseases.
The Research Lab Technician reports to a Principal Investigator (PI) and Technical Director of the IM Core and works as part of a research team in support of the mission of the core. The Research Lab Technician will also aid the PI and student researchers on various research projects as deemed appropriate by the PI. The position may require occasional flexible work hours depending on the demands of the experimental protocols and processing of fresh clinical material.
Position specific JOB ACCOUNTABILITIES: - Conducts research experiments in accordance with laboratory and safety protocols. Collects field and/or laboratory measurements and data. Computes results for a variety of research tests. - Maintains accurate records of procedures used to conduct experiments. Uses laboratory/computer equipment to conduct analyses of experiment data. Provides routine interpretations of analyses.
- Maintains and calibrates laboratory equipment. Performs or arranges for basic repairs. May alter equipment to meet experiment requirements. Makes recommendations for equipment acquisitions. - Prepares chemical solutions for experimental use.
- Handles and disposes of hazardous and non-hazardous materials in accordance with safety protocols.
- Maintains and organizes laboratory supplies. Monitors inventory levels and orders or secures supplies as needed.
- Maintains research facility in orderly, operable condition. Maintains security and safety of equipment, samples, specimens and data.
- Conducts library research to assist in the planning and design of experiments.
- Learns basic laboratory safety and, if appropriate, basic radiation or blood born pathogen safety under the direction of the USC safety office and more experienced laboratory staff. - Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The university reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
Position specific JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Preference will be given to candidates with a strong background in cellular immunology, with prior experience in clinical sample handling, biospecimen processing, and immunological analyses.
2. Candidates must have prior experience in mouse models and in vitro cell culture systems.
3. Experience with flow cytometry, cytokine multiplexing, and other immune-related analysis techniques is highly preferred.
Minimum Education: Associate's degree, Specialized/technical training, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum educationMinimum Experience: 2 yearsMinimum Field of Expertise: Working knowledge of laboratory equipment and research protocols. Knowledge of computer analysis techniques and ability to provide routine analysis and interpretation of research data.
USC is the leading private research university in Los Angeles—a global center for arts, technology and international business. With more than 47,500 students, we are located primarily in Los Angeles but also in various US and global satellite locations. As the largest private employer in Los Angeles, responsible for $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic and professional schools and administrative units. As a USC employee and member of the Trojan Family—the faculty, staff, students, and alumni who make USC a great place to work—you will enjoy excellent benefits, including a variety of well-being programs designed to help individuals achieve work-life balance.