Summary of Position: This position is responsible for preparation of bioreactors, seeding, cultivating, and harvesting bacteria/yeast for fermentation projects. Other responsibilities include maintenance and repair of laboratory equipment, preparation of solutions, sterilization of equipment and solutions, recording data, writing reports and writing SOPs. Operation hours for this position will be predominantly the first shift from 2 PM - 11 PM.
45% Fermentation/Media Prep
- Work within the Biotechnology team to efficiently and accurately reach key metric goals (productivity, yield, titer). - Assemble equipment for production and prepare media and solutions for bioreactors and seed flasks. - Carry out batching, inoculation and feeding of bioreactor cultures. - Responsible for in-process testing, such as: pH, Conductivity, Spectrophotometer, Cell count, etc. - Assist in day-to-day production support including troubleshooting equipment and process problems. - Create and maintain SOPs and batch records and any other documentation accurately and in a timely manner. - Report all nonconformance or events that arise during the shift to the Supervisor. - Operate systems that clean and sterilize tanks and filtration systems. - Comply with all site safety requirements, SOPs and manufacturing documentation. - Perform any other tasks/responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
25% Downstream Processing
- Collect cell paste, supernatant, or homogenate for processing as directed by BRC Customers - Analyze fermentation samples as directed by BRC customers - Package production material for frozen storage - Assist in downstream processing as directed by BRC personnel - Clean and maintain all downstream processing equipment
25% General Duties
- Inventory chemicals and equipment spare parts - Inventory biological samples in freezer annually - Autoclave and dispose of biological waste - Organizational jobs as directed by the Lab Staff - Prepare reports for BRC customers - Clean glassware and work areas following BRC SOPs - Fermentation bottle preparation following BRC SOPs - Follow Quality System in BRC for all projects - Prepare reports for BRC clients
- Provide hands-on instruction for operation of bioreactors and down-stream processing equipment for undergraduate student workers in the BRC
- BA/BS or a combination of related education and work experience to equal four years. - Applies knowledge and skill to a recurring task or activity with emphasis typically on precision and timeliness of execution. - Excellent oral and written communication skills. - Attention to detail. - Ability to lift and carry 50 lbs. - Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs Word and Excel.
- Capable of writing detailed reports and summaries. - Familiarity with Bioreactor function and maintenance. - Knowledge of aseptic technique.
The University of Minnesota, founded in the belief that all people are enriched by understanding, is dedicated to the advancement of learning and the search for truth; to the sharing of this knowledge through education for a diverse community; and to the application of this knowledge to benefit the people of the state, the nation, and the world.